Friday, September 18, 2009

CPAC Church Planters Assessment Post #2

I also wanted to post what I have learned about myself through this CPAC experience.

I learned that I like church planters.

I learned that experiences like this are best viewed as a challenge and not a competition. There were a couple of pretty competitive personalities at this Assessment. I could tell that they were not having fun.

As I watched several Pastors before me preach a message and then have it critiqued; I was so nervous as a couple of them were absolutely ripped apart. I was nervous to speak, but mortified about what I would hear afterward. What I heard was very complementary. Being told by assessors who are paid to be critical that I have gifts in communication was thrilling for me. I have worked hard to improve my speaking over the years, and to be complemented was a big deal for me.

I've always been laid back. But I learned that when I am confident, I can take the lead when I need to and when I am supposed to.

I also learned that I need to work on my confidence.

I also learned first hand that some of these pastors who at first project a confident and almost perfect image are working hard to project that image. When it comes down to it, they are flawed as well.

My favorite thing that I learned is that I was recommended to Plant a Church. I was told that I could Senior Pastor and existing church, or I could support another planter, or I could do it with just Kim and I. Our assessor told us that it would be a waste of our time and talents to support someone else, and that we are too creative and have too much appetite to do something unique to pastor a church that is established and set in its ways. So we are recommended to plant our own church.

Based on this information, I am leaving next week with the kids for the Everett area, north of Seattle to find a house and plant a church.

I couldn't be more excited that this dream is being realized.

1 comment:

chim said...

it's fun to read this now and remember the path that got us here. i am so excited to be chasing this dream down with you :)
love, love.
~kim